Sunday 26 September 2010

Near Marseille

Another friendly MacD's finds me just outside a town by the name of Margnane. I had been trying to ride down through the Hills heading East from Ensues la-Ledonne, but the howling wind was too much to bare, preventing me quite literally from descending a steep decline and fast moving road. I noticed a fun park and headed for shelter. Completely abandoned though and quite eery, I wondered up hill into the woods in search of a flat pitch in steep rocky ground. Eventually I found an abandoned shack in a Pine Forrest, pitched my tent on soft fallen needles and settled for the night with Mackeral in mustard sourse and green bean sandwiches followed by a Caramel pudd. Woke this morning to dogs barking, trees still creecking in the wind and heavy at times, shotgun fire. Many trigger happy frogs around so thought I'd better gobble some breakfast, gather stuff and head out of the woods before
Receiving a butt full of shot and my heels being chewed by an overzealous hound.

Made good miles yesterday mosly with the wind behind me, travelled from South of Arles where I had stayed, visiting a market at Port-St-Lois-du-Rhone.
After being directed out of Arles by a very helpful Cycle shop keeper who drew me a very good map, I headed south east along D35 and came across a row of small houses right at the water's edge. Beutiful spot but quite abandoned. I ventured into a garden overlooking the river which could quite easily have been mistaken for a large lake it was so wide. There were some tomatoes growing in the garden so concluded that the owner may turn up and be rather disturbed to find another bear sleeping next to his vege patch, so I moved on. The Rhone is one mighty. I gather it supports amongst all else, this rice growing region by flooding the fields, desalinating the otherwise salted ground. I believe that the rice is then grown and the fields drained once again for harvesting.

Also many horse ranches about, the dominant breed seems to be a very sturdy looking Grey, quite stunning and certainly able to hold my weight. I understand that the area is proud of its Bull Breeding too, though I did not see any which is probably just as well.

Well I eventually came to a Farm homestead and wonderwd in when a gentleman came to say hello. I mimed as best I could in the most wearyest manner abiut pitching mt tent to which he said 'No problem' He later offered me a drink, but I think I misunderstood him as he may have expected me to go indoors with him away from the voracious mosquitos (I was well protected by then with Peaceful Sleep) for whatever was being offered. I thanked him asking for a cofee but none arrived. In the morning I heard one of two Landrovers move off and when I had packed I knocked on the door. I filled my water bottles, and left a little note of tganks leaving my email and blog address. I hope that he or his daughter will write so that I can stay in touch.
So, now on to Marseilles which I understand is the oldest of cities in France having been established by Greek Sailors 600 BC. Let's see.

All for now, phone and camera fully charged with MacD's compliments. Coffe was good, first I have had since Palma 12 days ago. the occasional Pils and fruit juice has been good though in the meantime.

Bye'eeeeee.

No comments:

Post a Comment