Sunday 19 September 2010

Hi any reader,
Have this evening met David who runs an arable farm and fine looking guest apartments called Mas Vermel at Fontanelles Girona. Though the apartments are fully occupied and I have explained my limited budget challenge, he has very kindly allowed me to pitch my tent on a fine carpet that he rolled out just for me. So I am typing away sitting on this carpet in front of my tent listening to the rain pouring down onto the concreted floor. I am in the far corner of of a court yard providing open fronted shelter for several large farming machines and some cars. One of which, next to me is a great big steel farm trailer which I have draped the outer of my tent to hopefully dry a little overnight. On my way here to this rural village of Fontanilles, I passed many vast apple orchards. I stopped to ask some workers where I could perhaps stay and was offered several delicious apples. I gratefully accepted two of the six and have guzzled both voraciously. LAter
in the day today, I recall missing having eaten some fruit today, it was as though my body was telling ne someting. Owen my son, take note!
I seem to managing without Spanish, but wish Jessica my daughter was with me as together. I know we would have communicated rather better. Last night, I pitched my tent for the first time and it was just as well, because it began to rain very heavily and did so for several hours. I had found this villa which appeared to be closed and wondered down to the beach. Along the way, I noticed a terraced green lawn overlooking the beach surrouded by borgonvilia on which two tits were hanging out. Blue ones that is who may well have travelled down from up country like me. I tried to photograph one of them but the little blighter must have flown off while I was max setting the camera zoom. Pity they are so beautiful but also so very tiny. Behind the hedge, were a couple of tennis courts., expect there was a pool lurking around too, commanding top dollar here. There was a no camping sign at the beach whith the lawn overlooked but I thought to take a chance and
pitched my tent qith an ocean view. Right now though, I would not swop the tractors for any view out in the open since it is really chucking down.
Im up again at 6 and its still raining though not as hard. Now waiting for the light so I can photograph my unusual site, pack up and have some breakfast before off. It was a good budget day as until last night when I went for a stroll between the torrents, I had only spent 3.60. Turns out, the travelling farm workers are from Columbia and when I asked them if there was a shop in the village to get coca-cola a true internatioal brand everyone recognises I was able to determine the nearest store to be 4 kms away.
However, a coke was magically peesented from their fridge so I quickly tried my spanish for bier and the coke was promptly swapped for an own superstore brand ,Carefour. This is the superstore chain I had been directed to when arriving in Palma,seeking a new innertube foe the bike. I han then thought that Carefour was a place. Just look how worldly I'm getting. Anyway, I asked in my best columbian spanish, how much? They insisted it was a gift but I left 1.20 for them on their kitchen work top. Later, soon after when beer was consumed, They gave me another couple of delicious apples. So not bad for a total of 5 euros yesterday. Who said Europe is a challenge? Even still have some milk chocolate and two tins of fish from yesterday's shopping.
Dawn has arrived and the sky still looks very grey, looks like another wet one. Oh well, makes for cooler and longer riding. David has given me a local map and suggested a route , he reckons I should be in France by days end, so will be off within the hour. It is now 0620hrs Sat 18th, the start of my 4th day of many more planned. Now to try the wifi.

No comments:

Post a Comment