Thursday 7 October 2010

A walk in Italian sunshine

Its Thu 6th Oct and I am sitting on the beach at Monterosso. I have walked the hill trail which leads up and down the mountain along the coast from Levanto where I stayed last night. I think Monterosso is the first of the 5 lands, the other 4 being along the coast in and easterly direction. I can see them with binoculors from where I am sitting. I have just had a swim in tge sea and a beach shower . Water still about 20 degrees I reckon. I just jumped in with my cyccling gear on and rung it out once showered. Now evaporating nicely in the warm sunshine. Must be about 25 degrees. Very bright. The walking trail was great and real change to be off the bike for once. It took me just on two hours which is quicker than the 3 that + had been advised back at the Hostel. I have transformed these last weeks into a bit of a mountain goat and overtook all that I came across. Very steep at times with breathtaking views. There is a small mountain retreat which
advertises drinks, particularly local wine on route. I thought about it but refrained as I'm having to manage on just deck shoes and imagined myself struggling in a giddy state. Had a bottle of Moretti beer instead when I arrrived along with some lunch consisting of a carrot, tomatoe, roll and biscuits.

Expect this place is really heaving in the summer season and the trail rather too busy. Not sure, but now seems an idillic time to travel here.

Getting a liking for Moretti which varies from €1.15 to €4 depending where you get it. Last night, a cafe had it for 3.50 so + wondered on to find another at 4, where + was directed to yet another store open late selling cold meats and all sorts. There it was €1.15 for 66cl bottle which is a good pint or just a bit more perhaps so I ordered some delicious olives to go with it.

A bit of a bither in this part of the wirld is the funny hours they keep. Often shutting before noon or 1 and only opening again at 4pm typically. Supermarkets included. Dunno what they do with themselves. The Hostel at Levanto is a comparatively cheap place to stay at €19 including breakfast where you can hog a little if you choose. The coffee machine sign asks that yiu have just one but nobody seems to count. I will possibly stay another night although they may be full as this morning at 11, they had only 3 beds left. One thing though, if you stay there or near, I wiuld recommend ear plugs as the local church bells toll every 15 minutes throughout the night, the munutes chiming a different tone so that you are reminded of the time every 15 minutes. Crazy.
There is also a camp site so I'may sray there instead if I do not move off before this evening. Expect I,ll get the train back to Levanto later, I believe it runs all the way along the coast in these parts. Loads of tunnels though so scenery in bits probably.
I met another Canadian (French)traveller this morning. Sylvian now on foot, having rented a car and trained. He is a graphic designer who has been travelling in Tuscany and says that many more vines await me there which is one thing I have missed since approaching and travelling along the coast here in Italy so far. Other cyclists have commented about good figs inland a bit so here's hoping.
3pm now so better get going and find out about the choo choo.
So managed to jump on a train straight away and mad enquiry for onward travel to Ancona which is some 435km away to the east coast via Bologna. That would take me about 5 or 6 days in this hilly terrain so I might cheat for a while and save some time and money. Its about €30 for the fare and I would otherwise spend 70.
I will study the maps and terrain and decide by tomorrow the next move.
Bye now.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Simon
    Just a note to say we are trying to catch up with your daily log do you have time to do any riding as well?. Ho Ho! Seriously though it sounds as if you are making great progress and promoting good international relations.
    Best wishes and good luck
    Chris & Roy Ahead Cycles.

    ReplyDelete