Wednesday 20 October 2010

Carry on Kosovo

I arrived in Kosovo the day before yesterday and managed soon after to find digs in an unfinished motel which the buider/owner let me stay for €8, which I was happy with since soon earlier I had been qouted €40. Not a good night sleep though as there is 24hr road building going on behind the property and a rock breaking bulldozer was hammering away all night.
The suburbs in Kosovo immediately differed from Albania revealing more established and less run down environment.

I set of for Prizren At about 9am on another overcast drizzly day. The roads being very wet and muddy meant having to put up with splattery spray from all the passing traffic. At least my route through Albania the roads while very steep
were quite from traffic. From the border the road climbs gently towards Prizren some 15kms away and even though grimey, some flat sections were a real treat for a change.
On the way in to town, I noticed several market stalls on the left and I stopped for a snoop. Then entered a covered market which is quite large with many traders offering just about anything one can carry away.
I found a small shortwave radio which hopefully could allow me to tune into the bbc world service now and then.
One enters the town on a one way system and I had another hunt around for a bike store as my spd shoes are now about to perrish and to see if I could spot other similar radios.
Neither were found but I di remembe passing by a small bicycle repairer that may be wortg a visit for some bits before moving on. Later I tried to make my way back to the covered market but at first could not find the same road I had entered on. This oneway system here is frustrating as it takes one a long way round the town. I decided then to enquire about wifi and was direted to a bar by the bane of Barcode not obviously named other that labels on steel drums outside. It is near to an old bridge across the river towards the top of the town where the oneway system bares left. Had a beer and checked emails. So round I went again and happily found it the right road once more.

I decided to try and barter the windup radio which I had bought Back in England since it only has AM and FM but a handy light which I can do without. So whilst demonstrating my more expensive bargain of a swap, Adem was called over as someone with a little English. He helped me get the message across yhen decided to buy my radio for the same price of the one I wanted. Deal done. Adem then invited meto his clothing store for some coffee which arrived later after a good chat. The coffee was excellent and somehow came topped with cream and sprinkled coffee decorated in the shape of a spiders web. I asked Adem if he could write his name and perhaps an email address into my diary for the day. He is ot a computer user though and wrote hs address instead, the offered to have me for guest overnight. Well here I am still in bed having met with his wife and daughter, feasted, clothes washed, then later in a quite typically smoke filled bar,introduced to some of
his Albanian mates, including a deputy minister for health and social development. I did mention the irony and explained about the smoke free public buildings back home and that perhaps he should promote the same to which the interpreted reply was too many problems caused.
Inevitably, I have been offered my room for another night but must gratefully move on. It has been recommended to travel through Macedonia, then on to Greece rather than the more direct route through Bulgaria. As there are likely to be more burglars in Bulgaria. Always intended to travel through Greece anyway, but am glad to have diverted across to the Balkans instead of travelling the length of Italy.

1 comment:

  1. "Always intended to travel through Greece anyway, but am glad to have diverted across to the Balkans instead of travelling the length of Italy."

    i'm happy for you... i love the Balkans and all the amazing scenery of the region.

    ReplyDelete