Tuesday 5 October 2010

Mud Galore

Its 2100 hrs Monday 4th October. Today the weather has been rather unfriendly with gale force winds, and at times driving rain, causing floods and land slides in the area we are in. Only good thing has been the temps which have held up otherwise things would have been extremely miserable. Had to pack the tents up earlier wet which is a pain as they are heavier and then subsequently damp for next use.

We only managed to get going again at around 2pm and have covered only 33 kms having sheltered at a few locarions. We are about 10kms north of Serona and having climbed a hill found a hotel and pizza resturant. They tried to charge €65 but we found out about another hotel about 3kms further on which would charge €50 so were able to haggle down to this amount which has rather upset my €10 per day budget as accomodation costs for these last 2 days will amount to €33. So far in the 3 weeks by tomorrow the road, I will have spent €46 on accomodation for just 3 of the 21 days. My average spend, including accom. Ferry and bike tyre is €13.60 per day so not far of £10 per day. Fred and I are sharing a room and enjoying the dry warmth and CNN on the tele. Fred treated me to a Pizza earlier and we have the room until 11am tomorrow. Hopefully, if the weather moderates we should make Genova tomorrow and will probably part company there. I need to
head east more and Fred will be heading North East towards Slovinia where he has arranged to met with a friend for a few days.

I have only €15 left and will need to change some Stirling tomorrow or next day at latest.

Hi Fred,
I was trundling along and had kicked up a couple of inclines so waited a while. When you did not turn up, I turned back for about 3kms and alas did not see you anywhere.

I trust all is well and that you had simply turned off left somewhere on route.

Thank you so much for your good company these last several days. I shall miss your good nature and genuine enthusiasm for your goal ahead. Take care and do let me know how you are fairing.

I have stopped at a nice hotel where an even nicer young receptionist has allowed me wifi access gratia.

I have had a massive hill to climb where there was a great view back to the city. Genova centre was like a war had prevailed with piled up mud and damaged cars littering the streets.
Lots of police trying to deal with the impatient motorists and bulldozers doing there best to clear up. Much flooding yesterday that must have made a spetacular if frightening experience for those who must have been there. It could so easily have been us as well I guess.

It is now 1700 hrs and La Spezia is still about 70kms off. I am at Hotel Canali in Rappallo.

Cheerio for now and all the very best going forward. Ps. I owe you a Pizza sometime!

S.

No comments:

Post a Comment