Friday 3 December 2010

Good body surfing finally

I am in Varkala beach at present and have been here for 3 nights and have decided to stay one more day as the swimming is really good with wonderful waves. the seafood is also good although somewhat more expensive compared to the regular curry and rice that I have mostly been eating. I ate a good portion of Blue Marlin soe chips and salad and a coffee for justunder 3 pounds the night before last which I was able to cut myself.

My accomodation is a large comfotable room with ceiling fan mozzie net and ensuite loo and shower for just about 2.50 pounds per night.

I have met some western travellers here as well as some local people who seem freindly but a bit more stressed compared to many local people in SriLanka. They are less curious here with this being a faily popular tourist resort and I think life is harder for most. Litter is still a problem that folks just don't seem to be at all bothered about with little concern about all the plastic which is clogging the environment and along the beach cliffs.

Every evening when the sun lowers below the sea horizon, there a suddernly many lights visible offshore. I looks like a long town some 10 miles away but they are the fishing boat lights. I think that they are mainly static line fishing since no obvious trawling movement can be seen.

I have decided to travel north up the coast from here and then perhap at some stage head into the Western Ghat mountains when I'm feeling adventurously energetic again.

I have this morning had a trial at tghe local post offibce in order to send a small Christmas parcel back home. There is no orderly manner in which people are served so it seems the survival of the fittest prevails. One lady seemed to be doing all the work while othe staff were not too engaged and people waited a long time to get their business done.

I will copy and paste this for my blog since although I have typed several words onto my cell phone, I have yet organised a hotspot wifi zone for downloading.

All the best

S.

No comments:

Post a Comment